The Children’s Community Nursing Team is based in Yeovil and supports Children, Young People and Families within a 25 mile radius of Yeovil including Dorset and Somerset.
The aim of the service is to offer support families in their own home, whose child has a nursing need, and to reduce admissions to hospital. For the team to see patients they must have a Consultant Paediatrician at Yeovil and are aged 0-18 years
The service operates Monday – Friday 08:00-16:00
Telephone Number: 01935 384558
Expectations and Responsibilities
The Children’s and Families Act (2014) and the accompanying SEN Code of Practice (2014) lays out statutory responsibilities for agencies in regard to children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities – SEND.
The Children’s Community Nurses should:
- Be aware of who on their caseload has SEN needs
- Have access to and be aware of any EHCP’s for said children
- When requested, provide written reports for assessment and ongoing reviews in a timely fashion in line with local authority statutory time frames
- Respond to any requests from local authority for a report in relation to an EHCP assessment within 6 weeks as per the statutory guidelines
- Attempt to either attend annual EHCP reviews or submit reports when requested
- Work with educational establishments to achieve targets and responsibilities outlined in any EHCP or other plan
- Refer individuals who may have special educational needs, or potential needs in the future, to MAISEY system, SENCO’S, Early Years SENCO and complete an Early Help Assessment Form.
- Work alongside paediatricians and other professionals to support and engage with families as to the meaning of special educational needs, for individuals who meet the referral criteria for the CCN Team
- CCNs should be aware of the Local Offer and signpost it to families.
- Local Offer (SOMERSET)
- Somerset Parent Carer Forum
- Somerset County Council main SEND page
- Council For Disabled Children
- UK Government main SEND page
- Getting an EHCP. (Good schools website