Arranging some support for when you return home
If you have not already done so, please start thinking about when you go home and start to organise and make the necessary arrangements.
These are the things that you need to consider:
Many patients find it helpful if friends or relatives come to stay, or they go and stay with them following your discharge from hospital.
Convalescence is not funded by the hospital or social services, you may be able to arrange this privately. Home care is limited and the need is assessed on an individual basis. You need to consider how you will manage any caring responsibilities you have (including pets), shopping, laundry and meals.
Preparing your home for your return
It is very important that your home situation is suitable for you to return to following your surgery, especially if you live alone. Here are some things you should do:
- Clean and do the laundry and put it away.
- Put clean sheets on the bed.
- Prepare meals and freeze them or buy ready meals that are easy to prepare.
- Pick up loose rugs and mats.
- Make sure there is room to walk from room to room without obstacles getting in your way.
It is your responsibility to ensure you have suitable transport for your admission and discharge home.