Relief of discomfort
Provided you do not have an allergy to the painkiller, it is safe to use over-the-counter painkillers to reduce any discomfort so you can be more active.
It is important to use painkillers carefully, as they have side effects. Paracetamol is the simplest and safest painkiller. However, always get advice before taking paracetamol if you have liver or kidney problems
Check with your GP if you have been prescribed other analgesia.
We have removed a polyp. You should get the results in a few weeks. The results will also be sent to your Consultant and your GP
Tissue Samples have been taken for analysis. You should get the results in a few weeks. The results will also be sent to your Consultant and your GP
An endoscope has been passed into your bowel. You may experience some wind pain for some time after the procedure because of the gas used during the procedure – this will settle
You can resume a normal diet and your normal medication when you return home, unless advised otherwise.
If you have stopped your anticoagulants (blood thinners) the endoscopist / surgeon will have informed you when this can be restarted
Complications are very rare, but it is important to recognise the signs. If you experience severe abdominal pain, vomiting, fever, chills or a large bleed.
A small amount of blood and a generalised ache is to be expected following a biopsy or polyp removal.
However if you have further symptoms / problems in the meantime please see your GP.
You have been informed of any other procedures required and an appointment will be sent to you in the post.
Post anaesthetic instructions
- You must be accompanied home by a responsible adult age 18 year +
- You must not be left alone for 24 hours after your anaesthetic.
- Do not lock the bathroom or toilet door for the next 24 hours.
- No driving a car for the next 48 hours unless advised otherwise.
- No alcohol or sleeping tablets for 48 hours.
- No using anything that could potentially cause harm, such as Operate machinery, including the use of a kettle, cooker and iron for the next 48 hours.
- No signing legal documents for the next 48 hours.
- No looking after young children alone for the next 48 hours.