There are more than 350 different careers in the NHS: some work with patients while others work behind the scenes in non-patient related roles. They all contribute to making a difference to people’s lives.
If you are unsure if the NHS is for you, please visit the health careers website and explore the range of 350 different NHS Careers: https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/.
Yeovil District Hospital NHSFT is gradually reinstating its work experience programmes and placements to students and individuals interested in an NHS career, whether patient or non-patient related. Our 5-day ‘experience’ programmes provide insight into various areas of the hospital. Places are limited to 1 student per week:
- Healthcare Experience Programme: for students aged 16 and above who are interested in a career in medicine, nursing or another patient-related profession. To apply, please download and submit the “Clinical” application form.
- Business Admin Programme: for students or individuals interested in a non-patient related role. To apply, please download and complete the “non-clinical” application form.
Short, bespoke placements within individual hospital departments may also be possible: contact us for further information:
We have been one of the first hospitals to implement Industry Placements in preparation for the new T-Levels. Enquiries in the first instance should be made via your Sixth Form or College placement team.
For further information please contact us.
- Good grades in Maths and English (A-C) are advisable for most roles
- Science, technology, engineering and mathematics skills are in great demand
- Good interpersonal skills
- Keen to develop professionally and personally
- Good computer skills
- Caring and compassionate nature
- Understanding of the requirement of confidentiality
- Ability to work as a team
- Effective time management
- Being able to solve problems in a calm and efficient manner
Healthcare Experience Programme (one week rotational) designed for students considering a clinical healthcare career. Further applicants will be added to a waiting list and contacted if a place becomes available.
Radiology (x-ray); Physiotherapy/Occupational Therapy; Pharmacy (average two to three day placements)
Business/Admin Experience Programme (one week rotational)
Elaine.firstname.lastname@example.org / 01935 384529
Non-clinical Work Experience Programme
Courtney.email@example.com / 01935 384649
- Secondary school students seeking a healthcare experience placement must be at least 17 years of age
- There are no age limitations for students seeking the non-clinical rotational programme, or for those from FE colleges or for individuals seeking placement following a break in paid employment
Please download, complete and submit the relevant application form depending upon your area of interest:
- 5-day Healthcare Experience Programme: “Clinical” application form
- 5-day Business Admin Programme: “Business/Admin” application form
- 5-day non-patient related programme: “Non-clinical” application form
For all other areas or enquiries please telephone, email or write to us (including a CV): Elaine.firstname.lastname@example.org
Healthcare Experience Programme:
- Students may observe ward rounds and patient activities with the patient’s consent, but will NOT be involved in the personal care of patients
All students attending a work experience placement must adhere to a strict dress code. To view the dress code please click here.
Unsuitable attire may result in the student being asked to return home and change.